Area Sales Manager
Date: Sept 2022
Line Manager: Head of Sales (UK & Ireland)
Department: UK Sales
Centurion is a privately owned business which is well respected in the PPE marketplace as a head protection specialist. The company has a range of helmets, bumpcaps and respiratory products used in construction and industrial applications. Centurion is based in Thetford in Norfolk in the United Kingdom and employs 120 people. Sales are evenly split between the UK and continental Europe. The Centurion brand is strong, and the business is regarded as innovative, with emphasis on NPD and product vitality. Distribution is via specialist PPE distributors such as Bunzl and Arco. The turnover is currently £16 million, and the business is profitable with a strong balance sheet.
Main Purpose of Role:
- Work closely with the Head of Sales (UK & Ireland) and the UK Sales Team to:
- Achieve and exceed sales revenue, and margin (at standard) targets
- Exceed the Sales Targets for your area
- Give accurate forecasts and achieve as an absolute minimum Budget.
- Strong Account Management skillset
- Manages and maintains strong and long-lasting customer relationships.
- Manage Key Distributors their resellers, agents and End Users.
- Create & manage an end user pipeline using strong technical skills focusing on the application of above the shoulder PPE.
- Manage bad performing Customers, turn around or appoint new if required.
- Partner with Customers to understand their business needs and objectives.
- Effectively communicate the value proposition through proposals and presentations.
- Drive key projects and a new key account processes to help improve our efficiency and customer management, and service offering.
- Increase product portfolio and attachment rates
- Feedback to Product Manger market intelligence for new products development
- Be involved in the commercialisation and introduction of new product development and be able to demonstrate the features and benefits
- Lead and implement a customer segmentation approach to drive sales force effectiveness and resource allocation.
- Hitting Sales and GM budget for product for the area
- Manage the area by growing organically and via the introduction of new products
- Positively promote of Centurion Safety Products
Educational Qualifications Required:
- University Degree a strong plus but not required
Key Skills & Experience Required:
- Proven track record of delivering growth in revenue and margin
- Experience of value selling
- Must be customer centric with a strong customer service ethos
- Commercial experience in a manufactured / industrial branded business
- Experience in safety products and/or the PPE sector desirable
- Experience in B2B Multi-step distribution
- Ability to manage and motivate themselves whilst being remote from the UK office
- Computer literacy with experience in using ERP & CRM (ideally Dynamics 365) and turning customer insights into commercial action
- Significant understanding of pricing discount and rebate architectures
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience of technical selling with a good grasp of the technical concepts that underpin the performance characteristics of Centurion products. Must have a “techie” passion for the product
- Basic understanding of financials, profitability, and margin analysis
- Results orientated: Ability to achieve commercial results both personally and through others in a fast-changing business culture.
- Energy: Demonstrates real commitment in a fast moving and pressured environment with multiple priorities and can energise others.
- Leadership: Demonstrate talent to communicate effectively at all levels, across functions, across cultures, internally and externally.
- Influencer: Able to utilise a range of techniques to win support, gain co-operation, and break through roadblocks.
- Communication: Able to communicate effectively across numerous levels of the organisation.
- Above average EQ – Relationship builder.
- Willing to challenge their team to do more with less.
- Entrepreneurial with commercial acumen.
- Creative thinker.
- Strategic and tactical.
- High commitment, good work ethic, flexible, and willing to adapt.
- Managerial courage.
- Languages: Must be fluent in English with a second major European language a plus.
Location / Travel:
- Home based and Travel throughout the UK
- Will need to be in the Thetford office when required which is expected to be Quarterly
- Will be expected to spend time travelling to meet customers / on the road